Icon Extractor Suggestion - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Icon Extractor Suggestion

Anonymous
on February 9th 2008

I like your icon extractor because it's so easy to use - I have the context menu for DLL files with the option "extract Icons." It's simple and quick.

However, you can't selectively extract icons. If I want one icon from shell32.dll, I have to extract all of them and delete all of them but the one i want, and there are so many I might delete the one I wanted. If your program could allow me to chose the icons I want, I would use it instead of a different program I found, called IconsExtract. It also extracts cursors and can scan icons in an in-use process. Your program could improve if you downloaded and studied this program. Check it out; it may give you an idea why I switched. You may even begin using it yourself, lol.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html

alvin
on March 8th 2008

If you are talking about deleting all of the icons except your favorite, when the fast extracting is done, go in the Icon Editor and go to "Icon from Appliction" and choose one icon, which is your favorite.

beliefrules
on October 7th 2008

Altho I can only HOPE that one of the two of you reply to my question, having found NOTHING thus far that in any way will give me the response I so desperately need ... I myself have just now discovered "a whole bunch" of Icon Creator/Extactor DLs thru various links which would allow me to FINALLY create and save "My Own Personal Icon Favorites" from the 100s of WXP files contained within System32 and Programs\Microsoft Office\...etc. - all of which before yesterday, my only hope was to "each time" I wanted to use one, to "again" create a file folder and use the steps contained within Change Icon, etc.

SO ... HERE IS MY QUESTION I WANT SO DESPERATE TO KNOW "THE ANSWER":

All of the DL Software/Freeware that I have found ... ALL ... use the term "EXTRACT" within either the title and/or the description of same ...

My thought is this: EXTRACT means to remove, take out, etc. and IF these icons were to be EXTRACTED from their "assigned file folder" within System32, etc. ... then ... the icons within each of these system files, DLL files, etc. would no longer work correctly ... and/or perhaps the word(s) would be synonymous with corrupted ??

Are the icons really EXTRACTED in the literal sense ... and if so ... then HOW are they ever available through WXP again ... and HOW do any of the operational files these icons are located in not later prompt with a "corrupt" message of some kind??

Are they "COPIED - EXTRACTED" but the "original" remains within the DLL file, etc. OR ... are they truly in the literal sense EXTRACTED?

Can someone PLEASE EXPLAIN this so I know what I'm able to do regarding the DL of one of these "Icon Extractor" programs ...

And Finally "thank you" for your 2 cents (smile) and recommendataion re IconsExtract ... which is one of the primary DLs I've not only been concentrating on ... but also the first that got the "small hairs on the back of my neck to stand up" (smile) from the use of the word EXTRACT ...

God Bless and I pray someone will respond!

Vlasta
on October 7th 2008

You need not fear, the original files are not changed during the "extraction". It is a commonly used term for these tasks in the computer field, where copying costs nothing.

Page views: 1212       Posts: 4      
What about ICL files?
Select background
I wish there were...