Daily resize update - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Daily resize update

RadioActiveLamb
on March 25th 2010

First, GREAT program. The Picture Resizer is a fantastic tool in a small package.

Now, the question:

Every night, we have a database application that extracts very large images from a database and stores them in a folder as JPG images. This folder grows daily. I'd like to use Picture Resizer to create thumbnails for these images, but I only want to process pictures where the destination file doesn't already exist.

I'm not very familiar with VBScript or any other Windows command-line scripting, so I'm looking for help. I want to be able to specify the source folder, destination folder and have all the pictures that have already been processed to be skipped. Additionally, this gives us some flexibility to mark-up the thumbnails and save them without them getting overwritten by the resize process.

Suggestions are appreciated!

Vlasta
on March 25th 2010

That should be possible by just renaming the tool properly and using a parameter to specify the output folder. Use the renaming wizard to set up the size and make sure to tick Skip existing and Do not wait for Enter options.

The command line should look approximately like this:

PhotoResize400OU.exe "-cC:\Target folder\<PATH><NAME>.jpg" "C:\Source folder"

In VB you just must escape the " properly.

Anonymous
on March 26th 2010

why put the file name in the target? If my operational source is a whole folder, shouldn't I omit the target file name? Here's an example of what I have:

Source: (W:\)
6015.jpg
6016.jpg
6017.jpg
... (about 2000 files)

Target: (C:\Small\)
6015-W1024.jpg
6016-W1024.JPG

I want to run Photo Resizer so that it skips 6015 and 6016, but operates against 6017.

The process will run at a specific time in the middle of the night, and there's no-telling how many of these JPGs there will be.

Vlasta
on March 26th 2010

The <NAME> should not be replaced by you - the tool replaces it with actual name of the processed file(s).

Just give it a try ;-)

Anonymous
on March 26th 2010

OOOOOoooh! :-)

djar
on April 11th 2010

Vlasta,

I love the prog, it has simplified my work inmensly. I got a question about this specific example.

How would you modify this command line so that it will not ask for ENTER when it finished? From what I read in the forum, I should add the '-o' and thats it, but I can't get it to work! It would look

Original...
PhotoResize400OU.exe "-cC:\Target\<PATH><NAME>.jpg" "C:\Source"

Modded...
PhotoResize400OU.exe -o "-cC:\Target\<PATH><NAME>.jpg" "C:\Source"

At least this is how I understand it, but when I execute it on my computer, it doesnt do anything, just gives me the command line again. Is there anything im missing?

Thanks!

DJ

Vlasta
on April 11th 2010

The original command should actually not ask for Enter either, because you already have the O letter in the filename.

In this mode, there is no output at all, because in most cases you would not be able to read it anyway before the window closes.

So, it probably just works and due to the U letter skips all files, because you have likely ran it multiple times already.

Anonymous
on July 7th 2011

Ciao Vlasta, great tool... first of all!

I had a similar problem; I daily fires the resizer against a folder, but I do want to overwrite images. You say: no problem, use the I option

But is the resizer smart enough to skip the images it already worked early? My concern, first of all, is loss of quality every day when the jpg is saved again and again and again...

Vlasta
on July 7th 2011

If you want to overwrite the original images (I), do not use the skip existing (U) option with it. It needs distinct source and destination files to make the choice.

Use the skip smaller (S) option instead. Well, and test it before using it with real data to be sure...

Page views: 9883       Posts: 9      
You cannot reply to this topic.
I wish there were...
Select background
What about ICL files?