PhotoResize multi-core compatible? - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

PhotoResize multi-core compatible?

I have a quad-core and its a shame it only uses one processor. :
BossTurbo
on April 13th 2008

Is there anyway to make it use all four?

Thanks,
-brian

Vlasta
on April 13th 2008

Only by running several instances of the application in parallel. If you have a lot of files to process, it could help to divide them into 4 folders and processing the folders in parallel. Hard disk performance may be the bottle neck in some cases.

I will consider to update the program itself to make use of multiple cores when only one image is being processed, but it is hard to say when and whether it will have a significant effect. While the resizing itself is relatively easy to parallelize, some parts of the jpeg encoding/decoding are not.

BossTurbo
on April 14th 2008

Thank you for the response but it would be a major undertaking to divide the folders/subfolders into four, then put it back together. I tested it by running 4 instances of the program in parallel and it worked great, just under four times as fast.

I'm not sure I follow... update it to use multiple cores for processing just one image? I'm not really seeing the advantage of that?

Again, thanks for the great product, I've donated some and still think it's worthwhile, but now I need to find the fastest way to process about 3000 8 megapixel images.

-brian

Vlasta
on April 14th 2008

Many people use the tool to just resize 1 image and if resizing of a single image would be faster, it would help everybody. But you are right, parallelism at the file level should be enough.

If you can wait a few days, I will try to add this feature and two others that were planed for the next version.

Vlasta
on April 14th 2008

...uhm, it was not that hard to update the app after all. You can try the upcoming version right now. I hope there are not any hidden bugs...

BossTurbo
on April 15th 2008

Works awesome!! Thank you so much.

A small request with regards to the multi-core... can you easily add a way to specify either how much CPU to use or how many cores? I don't necessarily want the system going full throttle on it all the time. If you don't add this I'll still be a very happy camper, just putting this out there! :-)

Vlasta
on April 15th 2008

Well, it would be possible, but I guess a bit too much trouble to implement. You can use Task Manager to specify on which logical CPUs is an application allowed to run (right-click the PhotoResize....exe process in Task Manager and select "Set Affinity..." in context menu). Alternatively, you can lower the process's priority and then it will only run after other processes have had their share of the CPU.

BossTurbo
on April 15th 2008

oh awesome i never knew that! :-)

Page views: 2145       Posts: 8      
Select background
Vista & Win 7 icons
What about ICL files?