Photo Resizer - Multiple PC processing? - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Photo Resizer - Multiple PC processing?

BossTurbo
on April 27th 2009

I would love to have the ability to use multiple computers at once to speed up processing time. I have several computers that are networked together but only one computer at a time can process the photos. Any way you would implement multi-pc processing so we could have a mini render farm? I think your hard core users might go crazy for this feature.

Thank vlasta for your awesome software.

Vlasta
on April 27th 2009

Hm, that sounds very ambitious. I guess transforming the tool into a windows service that can be run remotely and exchange information among the running instance would be too hard.

But maybe there is a way. What if there were a switch that would made the application skip some files. Then you'd run the tool on multiple computers like this:
PhotoResize.exe -1of4 C:\images
PhotoResize.exe -2of4 C:\images
PhotoResize.exe -3of4 C:\images
PhotoResize.exe -4of4 C:\images
Each computer would process fraction of the images and skip the rest.

Would this work for you?

Anonymous
on April 28th 2009

Yeah, I think so! That would be a good roundabout way... just make it scalable, like 2 computers, 5 computers, etc.

In the ideal world (with lots of programming, I'm sure) they would talk to each other, like the main computer would be the server and the extra machines would be the clients. 3d Studio has a render option like that, it rocks... I'm sure the multi-person development team has the resources to implement it though, haha.

Thanks!

BossTurbo
on July 17th 2009

Hi Vlasta,

Any updates on this feature?

I think the

PhotoResize.exe -1of4 C:\images
PhotoResize.exe -2of4 C:\images
PhotoResize.exe -3of4 C:\images
PhotoResize.exe -4of4 C:\images

could work perfectly!

Thanks,
-brian

Vlasta
on July 18th 2009

Hi Brian,

I have put a new version online. It is not very well tested, but it should work. The input path must be exactly the the same for all runs, because the batch splitting is based on full path of the input files.

Br,
Vlasta

Page views: 10022       Posts: 5      
Select background
Vista & Win 7 icons
What about ICL files?