Creating exe to link to URL's - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Creating exe to link to URL's

process does not shut down
jcvanmeter
on August 8th 2011

I created an icon to link to a school URL. I shut the browser down; however, I noticed that the executable stays running in the task manager. Is there a way to fix this?

Vlasta
on August 8th 2011

The generated .exe is so trivial that it only contains the code to open the web page and then the main execution thread ends. But it seems that on some Windows versions something starts another thread and then Windows waits for this other thread to end (I do not know what is causing this).

My observations show, that the process exits after some time. When I get to it, I will include an explicit ExitProcess call in the generated .exe. (BTW it should end and you can kill it in task manager right after the web browser opens.)

jcvanmeter
on August 8th 2011

Great Vlasta. I am using school mascots as icons for each school to distribute to teachers, students,and Parents to link to each schools homepage. Most of these people do not know how to end the process. Great product BTW. I'm on the trial ver but will be purchasing. Since you will be creating the ExitProcess, I'll hold the course and keep testing. Thx

Vlasta
on August 9th 2011

I made some changes and it should work now - though I cannot properly test it, because it worked fine on my computer even before the change. So, please uninstall the plug-in, then re-instal it, restart the app, try to create a new shortcut and let me know if it still does not end right after opening the web page.

Page views: 1465       Posts: 4      
I wish there were...
What about ICL files?
Vista & Win 7 icons