Icon identifiers - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Icon identifiers

addressing icons w/i apps
sdelance
on February 23rd 2007

Can anyone tell me more about the identifiers of the icons I get when I use the BatchIconExtractor.exe utility? I find this tool very usefull for locating icons w/i applications I am repackaging and most of the time I am able to address them correctly based on the name, but sometimes I can't figure it out. For instance, if I want to associate the icon extracted as veerun.exe_I0001_0409.ico to a shortcut in an MSI installation that contains veerun.exe, I provide the path to veerun.exe and enter 1 for the Icon Number. However, I can't seem to get the reference for the icon extracted as veerun.exe_S0_0409.ico. What do the identifiers mean?

Vlasta
on February 23rd 2007

Icons are identified by an ...uhm... identifier and a language. The identifier may be a integral number or a string. I0001 means number 1, S0 means string "0", the _0409 is language code (in this case English US).

JenUin
on September 26th 2007

Hello.

I would also like to learn how to work with Icons associated with applications.
In my case, I have attempted to change most Icons Within an app to a modified version of the same Icon, using Resource Hacker, which I am also new to, by the way.
What I di manage to do didnt seem to change anything at all, but I could have sworn I replaced the correct Icons....There were also numbers identifing which Icons were to be used where: They were in folders (labeled, for example; 1033), and inside the folders were the Icons used for a particular circumstance: i.e.: syncronizing. I really didn't understand much at all about how these icons were identified, but I did my best.
Now in this topic, a more complicated version of the same questions has been asked, and answered, it seems......but I honestly have NO idea what either party is actually saying, and I would like to!

sdelance: Did you comprehend the response you got, and did it help you? If so, you are FAR more advanced, and intelligent than I! :-)

Could someone PLEASE explain this to me (and anyone else interested) IN SIMPLE, LAYMAN'S TERMS!?? (perhaps at a 4th grade level!? j/k... kinda....)
Or maybe someone could point me in the direction of an easy-to-understand tutorial on the subject? Because I am at a total loss! And any tutorial that assumes people know anything at all about a subject tends to lose me within the first few paragraphs....

Sorry for my ignorance....but how else am I suppossed to learn, right?:)

Thanks in advance, for any pointers, or help...

Sincerely;
~JenUin~

Vlasta
on September 26th 2007

OK, I'll try to explain the basics...

Resources (icons, bitmaps, cursors, dialogs, localized strings, etc.) are uniquely identified in a .dll or .exe by three keys:
1) resource type
2) resource id or name
3) resource language

When you browse the resources in Resource Hacker or another tool, you can see them grouped in the tree by these keys. At the top level you can see the type of resource (icon, dialog, ...), at the second level are names or numeric identifiers and at the third level are the different language variants. The 1033 (or 0409 in hexadecimal notation) is numeric code for US English.

Page views: 1630       Posts: 4      
What about ICL files?
I wish there were...
Vista & Win 7 icons