Converter - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Converter

looking for U3D to OBJ converter
MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 10th 2008

Hello!

Is there a good software (free, if possible) that can convert u3d files into .obj files? if if so, can you give me a link?

thanks in advance if someone has a link!

Vlasta
on September 10th 2008

The original version of Unicorn3D http://unicorn3d.rw-designer.com/Unicorn3D.msi could do that, but it has not been updated in ages and might not be 100% compatible with some additions to u3d.

Alternatively, you can export to .3ds and then convert to .obj with many tools (Milkshape might work for this?).

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 10th 2008

Well, for my needs unicorn 3D is fine, but i have a question, i installed the examples files(with U3d), do you know who created them, they're just soooooo awesome

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 10th 2008

i hust realized that Unicorn 3D (original version)only support nurbs surfaces and triangles, so i can't add my models who don't use these, i'll try milkshape

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 10th 2008

Milkshape dosen't suport U3D...

Vlasta
on September 10th 2008

I meant that you can export to .3ds in the icon editor and then convert .3ds to .obj in Milkshape.

The 3d models in the library are created by me and by my colleague. If you are curious how they have been created, let me know and I'll try to make a tutorial.

---

The musical instruments look very good... :-)

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 10th 2008

Thanks! but i don't need a tutorial, i just think your tank is awesome =D! i didn't know RWicons can export in 3ds!

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 10th 2008

Umm, i'm not able to export in 3ds in real world icons, how do i do this?

Vlasta
on September 10th 2008

Open a .u3d file and click "Operation->Save as 3D Studio object" in main menu.

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 10th 2008

Thanks! oh, by the way, i posted a comment (in the wrong icon set) maybe you didn't see it but for competitions, you could send e-mails to the members of rw graphics!

Vlasta
on September 10th 2008

Yes, I have read it. I'll think about it, but emails are not very effective these days due to spam.

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 10th 2008

ok, with milkshape, you can't import or convert 3ds files if you dont have a liscence for the software (wich is not free) and since i just wanted to convert U3D files to play around with another program, i'll keep searching for a good converter, because i really like creating files with Real World editor, so... And BTW again, to promote contests, another idea would be to put a link (a BIG banner) on the homepage of your website. or if its possible, to have a link showing up on the online section of real world icon/cursor editor.

Vlasta
on September 11th 2008

Then, I guess, Blender will be able to do the conversion although it is a bit too much complex for just a conversion.

Yes, putting a banner in the Online section is possible and a good idea. Still, I would have to find a way how to reach icon authors, who know nothing about rw tools.

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 12th 2008

I can't download blender... but nevermind anyway i cannot even use the program for wich i wanted to convert my files.

well, just have the banner a little bigger ( im ean the contest banner for the olympics) because it was soo small.

MEGADETHFAN3000
on September 27th 2008

Hello!
hey, i just got an idea of what would be nice for a future release of RWicon/cursors, maybe it's already in the program and i just didn't noticed it, but what would be nice, is to be able to import 3ds files into u3d!, maybe its impossible, maybe it's already here, but, that's juste an idea

Vlasta
on September 28th 2008

It is possible, but relatively hard to do because .u3d dos not handle triangle meshes very well and .3ds is only triangle meshes. I would not expect this to be possible in the near future. Unicorn3D can do this in a limited manner.

Page views: 19553       Posts: 16      
What about ICL files?
I wish there were...
Vista & Win 7 icons