Resizing losslessly - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Resizing losslessly

Incorporating jpegtran feature into Picture Resizer
Mike Lee
on October 15th 2006

If I could suggest one feature it would be that I could use Picture Resizer to resize (enlarge) my jpegs losslessly implementing a feature built into "jpegtran". What it would do is enlarge the "canvas" that the image is on and not the image itself. Kind of like Photoshop does, but in this case the original jpeg is not changed in any fashion (the lossless part of this operation.) It is difficult for me to explain the whole process to those who don't know or use jpegtran, but I am sure Vlasta would be familiar with it. Jpegtran has only a command line interface with no batch ability and so is slow and awkward to use. Picture Resizer has a friendly, albeit non-gui, interface and seems optimized for batch operations.

I know there is no other software that can perform batch operations of this kind. It would be unique. People who use a digital camera with a 4:3 aspect ratio (which has to be over 90% of those who own a P&S digital camera) could resize their photos to 3:2 and not degrade the quality of their photos one iota. Many times I don't want to crop a photo to fit on 3:2 paper, nor do I want the photo lab to crop my photo, so I enlarge the canvas instead. What do you think - am I on to something? As you can tell, I'm a stickler for quality!

Vlasta
on October 15th 2006

Iteresting idea. Since no resampling is taking place and the jpeg-decoding/encoding is also different in this case, maybe it would be better to create a different tool with similar user interface. I will think about it.

Page views: 1973       Posts: 2      
Select background
What about ICL files?
Vista & Win 7 icons