Disable splash screen? - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Disable splash screen?

How to do this ... ?
Conlan Garvey
on March 22nd 2012

Hi, new to the app and new to the forum.

I'm excited about this app. I'm a PSP user but it isn't portable so I have never had a portable solution for graphics needs when not at home. GIMP is gimpy (it sucks, in another words) and all the alternatives I've tried throughout the years just don't cut it.

RealWorld Paint is a really great contender, so hoping that I can just fine-tune a few things.

How do we suppress/disable the splash screen, pls? I use my USB Flash Drive at work mostly, and that splash screen is not good in that scenario. If anyone could advise how to stop that huge graphic from popping up, would appreciate knowing that.

Thanks.

Vlasta
on March 22nd 2012

Well, there is not any official way. The splash screen is shown before the application starts loading plug-ins and configuration and it gives the user the feedback that the double-click on the application icon was actually successful and the application is starting. To get rid of it, you would need to modify the main .exe file. I guess using something like Resource Hacker and replacing all the RT_PNG resources in the file with equally sized transparent images would do the trick.

Anonymous
on March 22nd 2012

Hi, there!

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. The app seems really, really good so far, just a few things to learn.

Many programs allow for disabling of the splash screen. At home I don't mind that any of those come up but at work, even though I'm doing image editing for work, it never looks that way to other people so it would be ideal to have that option. Perhaps it might be considered for a future release, maybe?

Thanks! :oD

Conlan Garvey
on March 22nd 2012

(Thanks, that was me above. Neat that forum allows guest/anonymous posting. But when I realized, I logged in. Cheers.)

Vlasta
on March 23rd 2012

I guess adding a splash-disabling command line argument to the next version should be easy. Something like /nosplash. You would then need to create a .bat file to easily start the application without splash.

Conlan Garvey
on March 23rd 2012

Hi, there!

That's more or less alright for us more techie people. But if you're hoping to have your app become as famous as something like Irfanview, hope you will seriously consider doing something very easy, like most apps do - just a simple box in the options that is labelled "Disable splash screen". When ticked, the splash doesn't come up; if left unticked, the splash appears. The default could be set like most to display. That would be a big winner.

Myself, I don't care for .bat files. They're awful to work with in protable environments as handling relative paths is just not easy with them, a necessity for portability. Although I'd hate to have to do so, I would myself write an AutoIt script but that's a pain, too. Much easier to just tick a box <g>.

But it's completely up to you, of course.

Thanks! Great potential here! :-)

Page views: 8986       Posts: 6      
I wish there were...
What about ICL files?
Vista & Win 7 icons