Creating icons - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Creating icons

Bob
on November 15th 2006

I just downloaded your software. I created a 300x300 BMP file and loaded it into the program. I need a 32x32 and a 16x16 from this image. But, no matter what size I select, the icon is always saved at 48x48. I consulted the help and tutorials, but still can't figure out the problem.

Vlasta
on November 16th 2006

The fastest way to achieve your goal is to let the program create all default formats, then delete the ones you do not wish to have in the final icon, and then save it. After the icon is opened, just click the 48x48 image and then the 'Delete' button in the toolbar.

You can of course modify the configuration of the image to icon conversion and remove the formats to create, but I would not recommend this, because you may later need to create icons that contain the 48x48 image.

Bob
on November 16th 2006

Thanks for the quick response, but I am unfamiliar with what you are describing. Here's what I'm doing (probably wrong). I open the program. Click "Create New". dbl click "Icon from Image". Select my .bmp file, click "next", then select "Customize image formats" radio button, and click Next. I Select 32x32x32 from the list of sizes. The image opens in the program with current view set to 16x16 Win XP. I change this to 32x32 Win XP in the top left window. Then, Save AS name.ico and its always 48x48.

Vlasta
on November 16th 2006

OK, I see. When you select a 32x32x32 item in the last step of the wizard, the right area of the windows shows settings for this format (and you can change it). The program will generate all image that are in the list, not just the selected one. You would have to remove the 48x48 formats from the list completely (but you would not want to do it due to the reasons mentioned in the previous post).

Similarly, when you see the generated image (16x16 Win XP and others) and click Save, the program saves them all, not just the selected one. Hence click on the 48x48 Win XP and then click on the 'Delete' button above the list and do the same for all the other formats you do not wish in the final icon. Once they are gone, save the icon.

Bob
on November 16th 2006

When I select 32x32x32 in the Create Icon From Image wizard, there are no selections on the right side. The only selections in this window are Size, Height, Color depth, and Effect. There's an alpha channel dropdown at the top, but I don't understand any of those items. And there's Input and Output Gamma. That's all.

The only thing left to do is click Finish. Then the image opens and The only items on the right side of this window are Tool Properties, Primary Color and Secondary Color. On the LEFT are some selections but as I already explained, even though they affect the display of the image, they don't affect the size of the saved ico.

BTW, when I load a .psd file, the colors are all missing.

I just noticed something strange. In Windows Explorer, there is one .ico file with a size of 25k. But, when I open this in ACDSee, there seems to be 9 images. So, I think this is what you're talking about letting the program create all versions. I just don't know how to get at them.

Vlasta
on November 16th 2006

Yes, there are Size, Height, Color depth, and Effect in the wizard and they apply to the selected format (32x32x32). You may notice that they change if you select different item in the list. The application creates all formats that are in the list. There are also 3 buttons above the list that allow you to add or remove formats - but you should do this only if you know what are you doing.

Icon files contain multiple images. It may help you to read the basic information about icons here. Do not rely on Windows Explorer - it only tells you the size of the last image in an icon.

After you click Finish and the application is displaying the created images. Click on the one you do not wish to be there and delete them using the toolbar or main menu.

Page views: 1723       Posts: 6      
Select background
I wish there were...
What about ICL files?