Plug-in suggestion - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Plug-in suggestion

PortableApps fonts
Mikey Z
on May 22nd 2013

Anyone here use PortableApps.com software? It's a suite of ... portable apps... yeah that's obvious... nevermind. But they also have a system so that you can have fonts saved to the flashdrive, so you don't have to install it on all the computers you use. Awesome-looking documents, no matter where you go! It can store any standard font file.

All that's missing to get Paint and the others to use it is the directory. Assuming you use Portable fonts and you put Paint in the same folder as your other apps, the fonts should be located in ../portableapps.com/data/Fonts . Is it possible to make a plug-in for Paint that can use this? That'd be awesome!

I do NOT know code, but the only other thing I can think of is that it would have to check if it's installed on a Portable Apps drive. That might be tough... :/ It would also have to be installed in Portable mode. P.A. platform doesn't stop the apps from leaving behind registry files, it just sets up a Start menu- type thing.

Vlasta
on May 22nd 2013

Right now, RWPaint uses fonts that are installed in Windows, so it does not load the fonts directly from files, but lets Windows do that. An extension that would allow usage of custom fonts will probably come, but it may take a while.

Mikey Z
on May 25th 2013

Thanks!

So, there's a difference between TTF files and properly installed fonts? I never really figured that they'd be different, but I guess Windows needs to figure out how to read it properly.

Vlasta
on May 25th 2013

You should be able to install ttf files without problems. Installed in this context means more or less that the ttf file resides in Windows' font folder.

Mikey Z
on May 27th 2013

Well, that's actually not true, but for a different reason. I'm using this stuff on a public computer with a no-trace policy. No installations unless you pay for a special account at the library for free prints and stuff. And I also use it at the school, where we have another problem of a similar kind. I could use it at home only, but I prefer to be able to use it elsewhere, which is why I like the portable version.

It's not a major issue though, so I'd set this one to low-priority. I can just not edit vector text until I get back home.

___xed___
on September 26th 2013

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone else needs to use non-installed fonts in RWpaint:

• Just make a JauntePE (http://jauntepe.sourceforge.net/) package for RWPaint with default settings.
  • From within JauntePE, add a "Fonts" folder to the package, and then just copy required fonts to that folder. Those fonts will be available to the packaged RWPaint (or any program) even if they are not installed in system.

I can make available a ready-made package (you'll only need to add RWPaint program files inside) if anyone is interested / wants so.

Mikey Z
on October 23rd 2013
Page views: 2849       Posts: 7      
I wish there were...
Select background
What about ICL files?