Break a Vector Text box into individual shapes? - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Break a Vector Text box into individual shapes?

Mikey Z
on April 28th 2014

I've been working on a logo for a class project, and I decided to use a regular font to start, and edit it as a shape later. I did find out how to convert it to a shape, but it converts it to ONE shape rather than a set of separate shapes. What's even more confusing is that yes there is nothing connecting the "shapes" shapes but they still register as one object. Can I get some help with this?

Vlasta
on April 28th 2014

A shape can consist of multiple sub-shapes. This makes it possible to put holes into shapes, which is quite often used for text - for example "A" has a triangular hole in the middle. After converting the text to the shape, it stays as one object, which means you can still change its fill style in one place.

That said, it would be useful to have functions for splitting and joining shapes, which are currently not there. The best you can do now is duplicate the entire Shape, increase the size of the command line (as it is likely that the text shape is quite complex) and start deleting the sub-shapes using the command line until you end up with a single character. Each sub-shape consists of a series of "C" points and one final "E" point.

Mikey Z
on May 1st 2014

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about. I saw the "new sub-path" thing on the context menu. I was wondering what that was...

You know, in the next update, you should make a few buttons easier to find, and maybe add a mass-convert-to-shape button. You know, select 5 objects and convert them all to shapes.

Page views: 2453       Posts: 3      
Select background
I wish there were...
Vista & Win 7 icons