label naming - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

label naming

What do all the numbers beside the different components mean?
GRML
on October 9th 2007

Hello!
Here another question / tip from me ;-)
I would really appreciate a clearer labeling of the components coordinates. Sometimes it´s quite obvious that x-, y- and z-coordinates are meant to display. Despite this fact, it would be very user friendly to at least match the axis coloring of the 3D-model with the coordinates in the document structure to get the meaning of the numbers at one glance. Furthermore, I´ve got many problems with the numbers of the transformation component. My thoughts were that they rotate the component around the x-, y- and z-axix, but that does not explain the fourth number. What do these numbers do? They don´t behave the way I would expect.
Maybe you could add some "x", "y" "z" or other labels or just match the coloring? That would be very helpful.
Maybe that you think of some more written information concerning that?
Thanks a lot for your help! :-)
Best wishes,
GRML

Vlasta
on October 9th 2007

Thanks for the tips, hopefully the improvements will make it into the future version.

As for the meaning of rotation: The first three numbers define a point. This point and the origin (0,0,0) define the rotation axis. The fourth number is the angle to rotate from -180 to 180 degrees (or you can use radians when you switch the units from context menu).

I know that the transformations are a bit tricky and they are actually the only items with descriptions right now. When you place the mouse cursor over them a hint appears in status bar.

I plan to have a wiki running in a a few days to centralize this kind of information.

Page views: 1482       Posts: 2      
I wish there were...
Vista & Win 7 icons
What about ICL files?