Can't find icons created. - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Can't find icons created.

Jennifur61
on December 16th 2007

Silly question? Bought for my son. He's made icons out of his fave pics and has saved. They show up in the software's library, but he can't find them to associate with programs on his desktop. What is he doing wrong?

Vlasta
on December 16th 2007

Jennifer, if your son wants to have custom icons on your desktop, he should:

1) Save a created icon somewhere on his computer, but remember the location. The Library folder is by default "C:\Program Files\RealWorld Icon Editor\Library" It might be better to save icons to your "My Documents" folder, which is easier to find.
2) Create a shortcut on the desktop (by right-clicking on free space on desktop and choosing "New"->"Shortcut" from the menu; then follow the wizard and select an application).
3) Right-click on the shortcut and click "Properties" in the menu. Then click "Change Icon" button. A new dialog appears. Click "Browse" and navigate to the icon file. Click OK a couple of times and the shortcut should display new icon.

Jennifur61
on December 16th 2007

Vlasta, Thanks for your help, but we had that part. The problem is, we think we save the files within the program, and we can find them within the program. When we look for them in the default location, they aren't there. Are we saving them incorrectly? Thanks again.

Vlasta
on December 16th 2007

I believe they are saved correctly. If you are in doubt, you can always save them to some other, well known location (for example Desktop), where you can see them right away. Use a simple name during the tests - such as "myicon.ico".

The "open file" dialogs in Windows occasionally limit the displayed files to certain types, if your icon for some reason does not have the .ico extension it may not be visible. Look at the bottom of the dialog when picking the icon and to be on the save side, switch it to display all files.

HELPER
on December 29th 2007

LOL i had posted the answer right after you asked but i guess it didnt work so if u are still there then this is what u do go to the my comp thingy and go to control panel and find the link connected to your mouse appliences and click on the pointer tab and click on browse and go to my doc or my comp mattering on where u put the file then double click and apply.There you go :-)

Vlasta
on December 29th 2007

HELPER, the question was NOT about mouse cursors, therefore I have deleted your original post.

Page views: 1559       Posts: 6      
I wish there were...
What about ICL files?
Vista & Win 7 icons