Make Inverting Cursors - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Make Inverting Cursors

Like the "improve visability" cursors that Windows come with
ZanderArch
on January 21st 2009

Simply put, how I do go about making a cursor that has a field that will invert the colors behind it. Windows comes with three sets (Small, Medium, and Large) that is meant for people with vision impairments, but I enjoy color inverting and would like to apply this to my own cursors... So how do I do it?
I'm pretty sure RealWolrd works with it, because I can open, edit, and save the inverted cursors, but I can't change where it inverts, or make my own from scratch.
Thanks in advance.

Vlasta
on January 22nd 2009

First, smooth cursors with shadows (the 32-bit ones) cannot use it. This is a Windows limitation. Other than that, these "inverted" pixels can have different colors and they also interfere with some image filters.

So, if you really want to make a cursor with inverted pixels in the current version:
1) Create a cursor with other than 32 bits color depth.
2) Change current color to completely transparent but white (upper right corner in the left color area).
3) Draw with pencil or other tool, preferably in "replace" mode. You won’t see anything in the editor, but if you move your cursor above the "Test area" panel, the drawn shape will be there happily inverting.

I know, this is a bit awkward, but the support for non 32-bit color depths it is slowly fading.

ZanderArch
on January 22nd 2009

Thank you very much for the information, it works perfectly.

Anonymous
on January 30th 2009

hi i like this websit but please make some sort of theme section and put vista themes for xp ext.

Anonymous
on February 28th 2017

I know this post is old, but I cannot make a new topic, and this is still relevant.

Is there any way to set what colours it inverts to?

Currently:
black <-> white
blue <-> orange
etc...

but can it be:
black -> orange
white -> black
blue <-> orange
etc...

basically, I want the original inverted cursor, but instead of white showing when over black, I want orange to show.

or, if possible, I'd like to make it only show orange and black over all colours, changing based on the colour.

Vlasta
on March 1st 2017

The inverting operation in Windows cursors XORs the color bits and cannot be changed.

Anonymous
on June 14th 2021

Hi,

I tried to follow the process described but it doens't work.
Maybe I missed something ...

I can't find the "color" or "property" to use for filling the entities and have the good behaviour (color inverted).

For example, I create a simple rectangle in a 24-bits true color cursor.
If I let my rectangle empty, it will be transparent.
How to have the inside "inverted" by windows ?

Thank you

Drachenbauer
on September 12th 2021

Vlasta sayd "completely transparent but white"
That is in the normal color chooser RGB each 100 and transparency 0.
it looks white semitransparent on the canvas and gives the inverting effect at using the cursor.

cod3breaker12
on November 22nd 2021

I've tried this on a Precision Select cursor, and it hasn't seemed to work.
They were all at a value of 100 and transparency 0, with the hex code being 00FFFFFF, and on the canvas it did appear as a semi-transparent white. It inverted in the preview section at the top left, too.
However, upon testing it and using it, it hasn't inverted. The cross didn't show up at all.
Does the entire thing have to be inverted for it to work, or should it work on partial inverted cursors?

cod3breaker12
on November 22nd 2021

Also,

Anonymous
on February 28th 2017

I think you can shift the hue of it by changing the color from white to a darker color. Black being 0 Degrees, and White being 180 Degrees. And, I think, the more value the color has, the more degrees it will go from 180. If it's a clean red, it will be -180 Degrees.
I'm not absolutely sure on this though, as my math is bad and my thinking process could be wrong.

cod3breaker12
on November 23rd 2021

I just realized that my cursors may be in 32-bit color depth.
Whoops.

Page views: 9181       Posts: 11      
Vista & Win 7 icons
I wish there were...
What about ICL files?