icon display - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

icon display

Anonymous
on January 11th 2010

Why won't my .icl or .ico icons display when I click on them? They used to do so, now it goes to 'what program to use to open them with?', and nothing works. I have an extensive icon library that used to display everything in each folder, but don't anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vlasta
on January 11th 2010

You have probably uninstalled an application that was associated with .ico and .icl files without removing the association.

If you know how Windows registry works, you can repair it manually. Otherwise, I would recommend installing an application that handles .ico and .icl and allowing it to do it for you.

Anonymous
on January 11th 2010

Thanks for the comeback. I think I can do the registry repair if you were to tell me what I need to do. Or, what would the application be that I would need to install> Thanks again.

Vlasta
on January 11th 2010

Registry way:

Locate HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico key and look at its default value. I have the icon editor from this web installed and in my case the default value is "RWIconEditor.ico.1" (without quotes).

Therefore I would locate HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RWIconEditor.ico.1 key. You go after HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<whatever was the defautl value in the previous step>

The find "Default icon" key under that key and set its default value to %1.

Page views: 1055       Posts: 4      
Vista & Win 7 icons
What about ICL files?
I wish there were...