Center rectangle on square image - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Center rectangle on square image

bigbangtech
on November 22nd 2006

I would like to suggest a feature for PhotoResize that may be useful to many users: making rectangular images square. Many people must put up 1000's of images on shopping websites, and sometimes the best format is square, but sometimes your images may be mixed with their longest side either being horizontal or vertical and it is a bit of a pain to process all of these images. An option that takes any rectangular-shaped image, horizontal or vertical and places it in the center of a XXX-sized square with blank/white bars on the top or sides where applicable would be most appreciated and most appropriate for PhotoResize!

Vlasta
on November 22nd 2006

It would not be hard to add this feature, but I am not entirely convinced about its usefulness. I guess it would be possible to make a couple of simple changes to the html code of a page and use non-rectangular images without problems.

I am not saying it won't be implemented, but if you could explain what exactly are the problems and how extending PhotoResize would help, it may speed up the process.

bigbangtech
on November 27th 2006

Some ecommerce websites don't work well with non-square product images or aren't easily adaptable. So, when I uploaded our item pictures, I have to take the rectangular images and expand the canvas in one direction to make them square.

We'll have a folder with rectangular images with their longest side horizontal or vertical. These images also vary in size greatly from 100 to 1200 pixels on the longest side.

So I have setup a couple of batches in pshop that must still be performed manually. For example

Take 2000 images and make them 600px wide.

Place all "tall" images in one folder and "wide" images in another.

Take "wide" images and increase the canvas height to 600px and fill empty top and bottom with white. Images are now square

Take "tall" images and change height to 600px, keeping same aspect ratio. Then increase canvas width to 600px, filling empty sides with white. Images now square

Your software makes quick work of other image operations and would greatly help with making square images. It just takes too many steps that we need to baby-sit in photoshop.

Vlasta
on November 27th 2006

I see, that sounds useful.
The proposed feature will be considered for implementation in the next version of Picture Resizer.

Anonymous
on October 13th 2008

was this feature ever implemented?

Vlasta
on October 13th 2008

No, it was decided to move support of special operation like this one into a more advanced tool, the RealWorld Photos. You can configure the currently available beta to perform this if you know a bit of javascript. (Or I can do it for you.)

Page views: 3537       Posts: 6      
I wish there were...
Vista & Win 7 icons
Select background