Great Job! - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Great Job!

FerrariMan
on April 17th 2007

Hi, Vlasta. I really like your "Car Manufacturer Logos" icon set. As you can tell by my net name I am a HUGE car fan. I just downloaded them, and they are REALLY well done. One thing: Is it possible to add an icon to shell32.dll or edit an icon in it?

P.S. I don't use the RealWorld icon editor though. I just want to be able to either edit some of the icons contained in C/:Windows/System32/shell32.dll or find a way to add some icon(s) to the Windows shell file. Thanks, Vlasta.

Vlasta
on April 17th 2007

Yes, you can edit icons in shell32.dll using various tools. I do not think adding icons to that dll makes sense. You can always use custom icons from your own dll (or icon library, which is just a renamed dll).

FerrariMan
on April 17th 2007

Thanks, you're right. I don't know why I'd want to add icons to Shell32.dll, now that I think about it. But do you know what tools edit shell32.dll? I ask this because if you want to use a custom icon, you can only customize folders and application icons you can replace. I was wondering how I could edit the C: drive icon, for instance, and so my C: drive would appear as that icon. The only challenge besides finding the correct program would be having every folder look like so-and-so without customization under properties. Thanks.
P.S. A nice feature you might want to add to the forums would be to let us press "Enter" instead of clicking on "Post Reply". The problem is, "Enter" is used for making a new line in your reply.

Vlasta
on April 17th 2007

Well, many of the icon editors can extract and update or add an icon in any dll. If you are looking for a free solution you can try the Batch Icon Extractor and the tool for icon replacement. I think the drive icons can be modified using a desktop.ini file, but the default folder icon would indeed need to be replaced in shell32.dll.

FerrariMan
on April 18th 2007

Sounds great for the icon replacement, but the problem is I am currently using Windows XP, so do you know if you've got a Win. XP version or at least a link to a place that has one?

Vlasta
on April 18th 2007

That is no problem, it works with normal icons, but also with Vista icons.

Page views: 3018       Posts: 6      
Select background
I wish there were...
Vista & Win 7 icons