Icons Won't Display - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Icons Won't Display

Revert back to original
spaman
on September 4th 2007

I am using the evaluation copy of Icon Editor. I have edited some icons that are on the launch bar in Windows Vista - they stayed fine for about 10 days. Today they reverted back to their original look. I can click on "Properties" on the program, "change Icon", navigate to the icon I want, and I have the correct icon, but when I click "apply" the original appearance of the icon appears even though when I navigate to the icon using Explorer it shows up properly. What gives???

Vlasta
on September 4th 2007

Vista seems to do a lot of caching when dealing with icons. It sometimes takes a while until it notices a change, but this is the first time I heard that it reverted back after 10 days.

First, verify that the icon is really modified (do it in the editor, because Explorer can show you incorrect images from the cache sometimes) and that all images in the icon are changed. If everything is OK, you can either just wait until Vista decides to refresh the cache or you can try a more dangerous way described for example here.

spaman
on September 4th 2007

I see my mistake. I went back to Icon Editor and changed the icon in "all" of its sizes, and then changed the icon for the application and it works properly. I had only saved the icon in some of the sizes and when I changed resolutions the old icons came back. Fixed now. Thanks.

Page views: 2676       Posts: 3      
What about ICL files?
I wish there were...
Vista & Win 7 icons