Help combining 2 images to make cursor - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Help combining 2 images to make cursor

transparent background of image 1 still covers image 2 when copy
christee
on October 8th 2007

hi. i opened up RWCE and selected to create new static cursor. i drew a cursor (specifically a vertical resize cursor)- this i'll call IMAGE1. I wanted to add a star to it, so I clicked "new", it opened another window & i clicked "open" to open an image of a star. I selected a PNG icon of a star that i had as the image. This opened up the star PNG which we'll call IMAGE2. So i now have 2 windows- one with the vertical resize static cursor i created (IMAGE1), and now a window with the star png image (IMAGE2). i edited the star- changed color, added shadow, etc. I selected "remove empty border" (even though im still not quite sure if that does what i think it does). i also had to resample the image to make it smaller.

once small enough, i clicked: "select image", "copy", then pasted it onto my resize cursor. Here's the problem- the star itself is small enough to fit next to the vertical resize, however, to copy the star, it selects a square around the star, & even though all the space surrounding the star is transparent, when i paste the star, those transparent pixels around the star are still covering part of my resize cursor (IMAGE1).

Here's something more strange- i kept messing with the star & trying again to paste it onto IMAGE1, but kept having the same problem- until all of a sudden, i don't know what did, but when i pasted the star & was moving it to the proper place on IMAGE1, you could see my resize cursor underneath the transparent space around the star (& only the star was opaque). it worked the way i wanted, with only the star being copied (and not the transparent square of space around it). so i know there's a way to do it, i just dont know how! plus i had to undo it bc i had more editing to do to IMAGE1, & when i tried to put the star back, the transparent pixels around the star again covered part of IMAGE1.

So please help- sorry this is so long, but i wanted to clearly explain the problem. Thanks for any help you give.

Vlasta
on October 8th 2007

Fortunately, the answer is short ;-). When pasting, the currently selected "Blend Mode" is taken into account - you want the blend mode set to "Paint Over". It is described in the beginning of this article.

Hope it helps...

Page views: 1267       Posts: 2      
Vista & Win 7 icons
What about ICL files?
Select background