A Suggestion - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

A Suggestion

Why not offer 3D files for registered users?
drbob
on March 11th 2008

I recently bought RW Icon Editor, and am learning how to use it. I specifically bought it for its built in 3D capabilities.

Your tool tries hard to make lots of capabilities available, and I am still learning how to use it and control it. It is clear that no matter what screen controls you come up with to do 3D modeling, there is just a lot more stuff to control than there is with a 2D image.

Your web site offers lots of pre-drawn icons that were created with your tool, and these are great. But why not offer something that no one else offers: pre-drawn 3D models that are only usable with your tool. You could offer these only to registered users, and thus boost your sales.

I have seen many icons in your icon packs that I could make better use of if I could get access to the 3D model, so I could show it from a different angle or combine it with other objects or whatever.

Please consider this suggestion from a loyal user. It could help both you and us!

Best regards,

Dr. Bob Miller
Trace Systems, Inc.

Vlasta
on March 11th 2008

Thanks for making the time to write the suggestion. An online library of 3D models has been on the TODO list for some time and your mentioning it will make it move upwards. Still, I am afraid it will not be available in the upcoming version, but there will be more example 3d models shipped with that version.

Online library of 3d models is a bit more complicated than an icon library. Problems like thumbnail generation, data extraction (for example if a 3d model has any parameters) or relative location of textures must be solved to make its use an enjoyable experience. The upcoming version will address some of these problems and prepare the necessary environment for a true online 3d model library in the future. The target is to be able to comfortably search and open a 3d model located on a server from within the application and also update it if you have the access rights.

But this is probably not what you asked for. A simpler version of the 3d library, where people would be able to download individual 3d models using a web browser will be available by the end of 2008.

Page views: 13839       Posts: 2      
I wish there were...
What about ICL files?
Select background