March 2011 - month of Layer Styles - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

March 2011 - month of Layer Styles

increase your productivity
Vlasta
on February 28th 2011

Layer styles (called layer effects in the current RealWorld tools) is a powerful concept that allows you to apply effects to layers without changing the layers themselves. Layer styles will be the main topic of this month.

If you have never used layer styles, watching the layer styles tutorial is a good start.

This month's first addition is an article introducing layer styles and explaining how they work.

Applications released from now on will contain an updated configuration window for layer styles.

<< February 2011 - month of BevelApril 2011 - month of Kaleidoscope >>
Erik
on February 28th 2011

Intersting topic

Teddy
on March 1st 2011

layer styles are one of the most important tools for a graphic artist

Erik
on March 1st 2011

Thats's right.

JDDellGuy
on March 2nd 2011

An idea. Perhaps the layer styles could be configured with some advanced options. For example, in a single layer effect, you could have it set to bevel all green objects that are round, add a drop shadow to everything, and fade anything that is blue.

My "pseudocode" example.
------------

<Parameter: Bevel> = <Boolean: True> IF OBJECT <Parameter: Color> = <Parameter: Green> AND <Parameter: Shape> = <Parameter: Circle>

<Parameter: Drop Shadow> = <Boolean: True>

<Parameter: Fade> = <Boolean: True> IF OBJECT <Parameter: Color> = <Parameter: Blue>
------------

Of course there would have to be slots for color tolerance as well.

I mostly did that just to show off my mad pseudocode skills and knowledge of what parameters and boolean values are lol. I just started learning some of this in college. Does it look realistic enough?

So yeah, that's my idea...

Vlasta
on March 2nd 2011

Wow, it sounds powerful, but I am afraid a bit unrealistic. The biggest problem is that it would require a vector image editor instead of raster editor. The information about the object being round or square is lost, all that is left are pixels. Until (if ever) RealWorld supports vector layers, this would have to be done manually by the users.

Teddy
on March 2nd 2011

Im just learning java at school but I nearly cant use it yet ^^ just wrote one or two simple programms for to configure runescape competitions till now ... but they went quite good
trying to lern html at the moment
sorry for this off topic stuff

Page views: 23098       Posts: 7      
You cannot reply to this topic.
What about ICL files?
Select background
I wish there were...