How to Turn Off Constant On-Line Communications - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

How to Turn Off Constant On-Line Communications

Swoop
on June 26th 2011

First off, I didn't see anything in the pre-sales documentation which let's you know that this program is constantly and actively communicating with a server via the internet.

Now is there a way to turn off this behavior, or, do I need to ask for my money back? Please advise and thanks!

Mark

Vlasta
on June 26th 2011

Well, it is not constantly or actively communicating with this server. It communicates when:

• The Online page (the last screenshot here) is displayed - change the default start page in the application options.
  • A language pack is downloaded/updated using the "Download/Update" button on the application translation window or from the Online page.
  • When an icon is sent to the online icon library.

All these features are there for the benefit of the end user and the task cannot be accomplished without requesting data from the server.

I understand that people want to be in control of their computers and are concerned about privacy, but the software landscape is changing. I can either adapt and provide some of the benefits of the constantly-on internet to the users of the applications or become obsolete.

Anonymous
on June 26th 2011

Ah, interesting. Well, (in my opinion), that's fine if you DISCLOSE that behavior BEFORE someone buys your product...NOT AFTER. That way it provides individuals with the ability to decide if they want to keep their right to privacy intact or if the software might actually be worth sacrificing your privacy to use.

What you claim to be a benefit, at least to me, is not. You really need to do two things here. The first, disclose the ACTIVE communication with your server and two, please refund my money and disable my serial number.

On a side note, the software does look nice!

Vlasta
on June 26th 2011

All is disclosed. Also, there is a 30-day evaluation period during which the application works exactly as when registered. All information is available before anyone decides to purchase the license.

And there is no HIDDEN communication. Should it really be necessary to write somewhere that if the Online page is shown, the content comes from the internet? I do not think so.

Furthermore, I have given you a simple guide how to avoid the Online page entirely.

I cannot disable your serial - I have no control over your computer. There is no online activation that you find in many current applications, including Windows. If something, RW apps are respecting the privacy and leaving the user in control much more than an average application. If you want the refund despite the fact that I have solved your complaint, contact me from the email you have used to buy the license.

Anonymous
on June 28th 2011

I sent you an email in reply. Now everyone reading this topic please understand this. In no way am I eluding that Vlasta's software isn't top notch or in anyway inferior to other products. In fact, this looks to be the best icon editor on the market.

My only issue is the open connectivity situation and that's it. If you don't mind the internet communications that this is a nice piece of coding. It's just not my cup of tea :-)

Mark

Vlasta
on June 28th 2011

One final time: do not visit the Online page and that is ALL there is if you do not like the feature. It is completely optional.

Page views: 1575       Posts: 6      
What about ICL files?
I wish there were...
Vista & Win 7 icons