Default Link Select Cursor in Windows XP - RealWorld forums

Log-in or register.

Default Link Select Cursor in Windows XP

...does anyone know its location?
FerrariMan
on February 9th 2010

I've always wondered in what directory the standard "link select" cursor was in Windows XP. It's NOT in "C:\Windows\Cursors", I've checked and double-checked. Even running a search for ".cur", I've returned only those cursors in that directory and no link select.

For clarification, I mean the STANDARD little hand icon when you're hovering over a link. If I know where it is, then I can re-do the link select for my Turquoise set of cursors.

Vlasta
on February 9th 2010

The standard link and other basic cursors are not there. Instead, they are built into one of the system .dll files.

FerrariMan
on February 10th 2010

...so how can I extract it? :-(

Vlasta
on February 10th 2010

You'll have to use another editor. Since embedded cursors are rare (and .ani cannot be embedded in .exe or .dll), there is no extraction function in RW Cursor Editor. Try AniFX, the feature list seems to include it.

sixλxis
on February 19th 2010

If you want i could provide you with the standard cursors. Just PM me with the request.

JDDellGuy
on February 24th 2010

Perhaps you could use one of these instead.

http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-library?search=hand

Anonymous
on December 13th 2010

maybe try sib cursor editor or art cursors ;-)

Anonymous
on February 27th 2012

I've also been searching high and low for the standard "link select" cursor. I'm wanting to use it to assign to buttons on a VBA userform, and it's a bit picky about the files you choose. I've tried lots of the cursors on http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-library?search=hand, but it won't accept any of them. And I'm developing this at work, so I cannot download and install a cursor editor...

@ sixλxis, do you still have the standard cursors and would you be happy to send them to me?

Vlasta
on February 27th 2012

There is an online tool, where you can draw a simple cursor. Also, the portable version of RW cursor editor needs just unzipping and works on W2k and newer.

If you are having problems with the cursors, pick the non-animated ones (.cur) or try converting them to lower color depth in the editor. I have no other ideas why VBA would not accept them.

sixλxis
on February 27th 2012

The closest set i have is this: Google Chromium

Anonymous
on February 29th 2012

@ Vlasta: Absolutely spot on. Well done. VBA only supports 24-bit icons and cursors and every version of the standard "link select" cursor I'd found were something else (32-bit presumably).

I'd actually tried the online editor and created a carbon copy, but this also saves them by default as something other than 24-bit. However, I hadn't realised there was a portable version of the RW cursor editor. I was able to load up the version I'd created in the online creator and adjust the colour depth. This has done the trick and now VBA accepts my cursor. Fantastic.

@ sixλxis: I'm all sorted now, but thanks for the reply anyway.

Vlasta
on February 29th 2012

Yes, all the tools default to 32-bit color depth (it has been around since Windows 2000 for cursors). I should probably adjust the online editor to only produce 32-bit cursors if there are semitransparent pixels in the image, but I am not sure it is worth the effort...

77cool99
on July 12th 2012

Im also trying to find the default cursors too. I started looking in the registry and i found a folder called Cursors. I opened it and it said Windows Default. But the values of the cursors like the arrow, were blank. I looked in the plus and looked at schemes. All of the cursor sets were their. I looked at the value of Windows Default, and the value was the location, so the ocation was ,,,,,,,,,,,,. Im confused. And what Dll has the cursors in it? Should i search *.dll? Because i can extract the cursors with one of my programs.

77cool99
on July 12th 2012

Great news! I Found out where the default cursors are located!!!!!
The cursors are in a dll file called user32.dll
If you are having trouble extracting it, use Resource Hacker or something. I opened it with resource hacker and i went to the cursors folder and found it!
Hope this helped.

Anonymous
on August 8th 2015

"STANDARD little hand icon when you're hovering over a link" is in C:\Windows\system32\user32.dll . you can get it with Recource Hacker.

TaglesMalsto
on October 30th 2020

I have published windows xp cursors from user32.dll with resource hacker now and can download here:
Original Classic Win2000/XP Cursors: http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-set/classic-1
OR
MEGA PACK animated cursors: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1djL3rh0E6__B95LPkv5gJ8AEp5QpyyQD/view?usp=sharing

nibbler
on May 23rd 2023

Unfortunately, I can't just open the extracted cursors with RW cursor Editor. I have to use AniFX and guess what? The opened files only have the 48x48 sizes available. The problem with copying and pasting from AniFX to RW cursor Editor is that it turns all transparent pixels opaque. I even had difficulty figuring out how to get the location and person select cursors from the original dll.

Page views: 25113       Posts: 17      
Select background
What about ICL files?
Vista & Win 7 icons